Friday, September 5, 2008

Tradition, Tradition: From the Sermons of Meister Eckhart

"The past can be a resource for the present."
Alister Mc Grath

Meister Eckhart in 1300 fell into disfavor with Rome because of his preaching. The following is a part of a sermon. The sermon shows the Protestant thinking about the holy scripture, the believer and the church. Enjoy-

I have a capacity in my soul for taking in God entirely. I am as sure as I live that nothing is so near to me as God. God is nearer to me than I am to myself; my existence depends on the nearness and presence of God.

In whichever soul God's Kingdom appeareth, and which knoweth God's Kingdom, that soul needeth no human preaching or instruction; it is taught from within and assured of eternal life.

As for outward works they are ordained for this purpose that the outward man may be directed to God. But the inner work, the work of God in the soul is the chief matter; when a man finds this within himself, he can let go externals. No law is give to the righteous, becuase he fulfills the law inwardly.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Love to hear from y'all...

Blogs For Christians

Gateway Bible Search

Lookup a word or passage in the Bible



BibleGateway.com
Include this form on your page