Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Tradition Wednesday: David Foster Wallace Defends Martin Luther...


David Foster Wallace Defends Martin Luther's Speech at the Diet of Worms:

In 1521 Martin Luther (not Martin Luther King) went to the Diet of Worms (made up of officials appointed by the Roman Catholic Church and the Emperor) to Defend Sola Scriptura. Sola Scriptura is the absolute certainty of truth in the scriptures alone:
"Unless I am convinced by Sciprture and plain reason- I do not accept the authority of the popes and councils, for they have contradicted each other- my conscience is captive to the Word of God. I cannot and I will not recant anything for to go against conscience is neither right nor safe. God help me. Amen."
David Foster replied to this thinking in a commencement speech to Kenyon College in 2005.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Love to hear from y'all...

Blogs For Christians

Gateway Bible Search

Lookup a word or passage in the Bible



BibleGateway.com
Include this form on your page